We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Dating A Minimalist: Your shared spaces are the trickiest areas. You may feel tempted to fill these with items to make the space feel warm and inviting, but your partner may prefer empty walls. Best advice here? Compromise. Ideas include:
- Select just one wall for wall decorations
- Limit knick-knacks to only one bookshelf or table
- Everything should have a place
- Limit pillows and other cuddly items
- Skip the coffee table and opt for ottomans
- Reduce surface space clutter (limit tables, clear counters, etc.)
Dating As A Minimalist: Respect your partner’s space. That said, shared space should be agreed upon – be prepared to talk things over with your partner, and keep in mind your shared areas may not be as simplified as you’d like (especially if dating someone who is definitely NOT a minimalist. My previous partner was closer to being a hoarder – this made things very difficult at times). Rest assured – it is doable with patience and communication.
For tips on how to begin your decluttering journey, you can Start Here, or snag a copy of the 30 Day Challenge (our Minimalism and Decluttering eBook).